Wednesday

A Blast From The Past...

We saw the Wizard and he is a little man behind the curtain...


My Junior High Reunion this past weekend was a blast. Saw old friends and cemented new friendships. Dave and I made it to the Embassy Suites by 7:00 P.M. the start time for the Friday evening kick off. I called Peggy Reeves as we entered the Creek Nations Turnpike. Peggy met us at the hotel. I had not seen Peggy since high school. She was such a sweet girl back then and is still sweet now. She was quite nervous but I reassured her that she could do this. I also saw Steve Reeves, no relation, Jimmy Walker, Susie Monger, Gaye Rumbaugh, Mike David, Gaye's husband, Jean Barsh, Mike Soper, Dave Hefly, Stan Clark, Lollie Turnbull, Sadie Haddad, Steve Montgomery, Linda Roarke, Linda Butler and lots of other people I did not know in Jr. High or put simply, just plain forgotten them. A lot of these people I never had friendships with but knew them throughout Jr. High and High School. There were some people that were suppose to come but for one reason or another were not able to attend. I would have loved to been able to see them again, maybe next time. There are other people that are now gone but remembered by all. As long as you remember them, they live on in our hearts.

We took a bus to the Jr. High and took a school tour on Saturday morning and had a box lunch at the school provided by Jason's Deli. Our tour guide was the Assistant Principle, Mrs. Connie Hamilton. Wilson is now a magnet school, its particular specialty is Foreign Languages. My how education has changed since our time there. The school had set up a table and decorations, yearbooks, and old pictures of us way back when and had it there for the week prior to our arrival, it was a touching gesture. We even learned how we became known as the "Wilson Rebels". After lunch and a walk down memory lane, yes the girls locker room and gym were still the same, even found my old gym locker, we got back on the bus and went to each of the elementary schools that fed into Wilson and the people that went to that school had their pictures taken in front of the school. Steve Montgomery and I went to Sequoyah Elementary. I took a peek in the front doors and saw that someone had spent a lot of time painting a mural on the gym doors and entrance hall. It was quiet striking. I liked it. I wish I could have seen the rest of the school...talk about memories, Mr. Sinsentaffer, Miss Harper, Mr. Dodd...

After the bus tour was over Dave and I went back to my brothers house and picked up our niece Kelsey and took her to Woodward Park for her Senior picture shoot. After a couple of hours there we went back and changed and went back to the hotel for the dinner. We sat with Peggy, Gaye, Mike, Jean & Sadie. Dinner was excellent and the company great. We had our choice of Chicken Parmesan, Steak, Roasted New Potatoes, Savory Green Beans, Salad, Roll and to die for Chocolate cake. I do believe that I enjoyed this reunion much more that my high school reunion two years ago.

After the dinner we said our goodbyes, promised to keep in-touch and went our separate ways until the next reunion. Time has changed a lot of things, views and opinions. I think I prefer to remember this group when we were innocent and naive and not so jaded in our thinking. They say time heals a lot of wounds but for some, I fear time has deepened some of the wounds for some. My hope for those people is that they find peace and joy in their lives.


As they say " There's No Place Like Home"


Amore & Arrivederci For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.