Wednesday

Nothing Like a Little Demolition...

When I got home from the trip from hell and back, that's another story...I opened the closet door and the odor hit me like a ton of bricks. Well horse pucky! I knew I had a problem and a serious one at that. I contacted a plumber and had the shower capped off and it was determined that the shower pan had gone and sprung a leak. After contacting my insurance company which decided not to pay for the damages I started down the road of "What to do next".  I called out Stanley Steamer, big mistake. they wanted to demo 2 bathrooms and a closet at the cost of $10,000.00 and for me to get a mold and asbestos test done at the cost of $1,000.00. That was not the cost to put everything back together. Uh NO! Yes, there was some mold but not black mold and no asbestos. 

I have a neighbor who is in the construction business, who came over to look at it. He and his boss Kevin Wells of Repairs by Kevin Wells, determined what needed to be done. Major remodel...however I am getting all three bathrooms done for what would have been the cost of just the demolition by Stanley Steamer! I think what we have decided on will look stunning and for the first time in my life I am getting to go counter top shopping, light fixture shopping and accessories fixture shopping! What fun! I have never done that before and I am somewhat excited about it.  

Now comes the hard part, financing...however I have decided to go back with a company, One Main Financial, which I have done business with in the past and gives me no hassles unlike the bank who couldn't even find any record of me, even after being with them for 20 years. Susan Mack with First Main was awesome! Thanks Susan!

At 8:30 am this morning things got under way. the

crew covered the bed and floor with tarps and the first thing to go was the shitter!
Back in the day they had toilets that could match the color of your tile...so 60's. Out went the mint green toilet. Gone forever.
Now they are removing the tiled shower and walls,

the big mirror is gone plus the 60's light fixture. They will be doing away with the fur downs and raising the ceiling in the shower making it look more spacious. The water had done damage to the custom cabinetry so that is now gone with new custom cabinets being built. 



I wanted to get one of those glass sink bowls, but realized that little hands would have difficulty getting to it, so I went back with a normal sink.  Oh, I get to pick that out too! Am I excited? You bet! 

This is the first remodel I have had done on the house since Dave did the living room 36 years ago. At that time I think we spent about $1500.00 plus a lot of sweat equity. Thank goodness Dave knew what he was doing as he spent his summers in Calgary, AB. Canada working on construction crews. He even built a single car garage for his Mum from scratch. Cement, cinder bricks and all. 

The hardest part of all of this is keeping the dogs pinned up in a different room. They are letting me know they are not happy with all the noise. Oh well, there's not much I can do about it other than to keep them entertained and happy. 

I wonder what tomorrow has in store for me?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! A big undertaking, but you will enjoy the new bathrooms. Have fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you, so please write a line or two when you visit.